Nonetheless, it was a moving, jubilant experience. I felt like my childlike dreams were being fully realized, hearing the works of Randy/Thomas Newman, Patrick Doyle, and Michael Giacchino in their full symphonic glory. If you have even a passing enjoyment of movie music (and an abiding love of all things Pixar, like me), do check this out if/when you have a chance.
I also realized that some heavy stuff happens in the openings of many Pixar movies. Here are events that occur in the first 10 minutes of Pixar films:
- Ellie from Up finds out she’s infertile
- Ellie from Up dies
- Nemo’s mother and family is killed
- Nemo is disfigured
- Mr. Incredible heartlessly spurns a young admirer, who ends up becoming his murderous enemy
- Remy almost gets killed by a woman with a shotgun in Ratatouille
- Fergus loses his leg to a bear in Brave
Pixar: Mixing childhood joy with incredibly horrible tragedy since 1986.